BRICS STI Framework Programme
Coordinated call for BRICS multilateral projects – Pilot call 2016
Call is open until 25th August 2016, 17:00 Moscow Time (UTC+3)
The BRICS STI Framework Programme aims to support excellent research on priority areas which can best be addressed by a multinational approach. The initiative should facilitate cooperation among the researchers and institutions in the consortia which consist of partners from at least three of the BRICS countries.
Collaborative multilateral basic, applied and innovation research projects in the following thematic areas can be submitted in response to the call:
(a) Prevention and monitoring of natural disasters
1. Understanding Disaster Risk.
2. Strengthening Disaster Risk Governance to Manage Disaster Risk.
(b) Water resources and pollution treatment
Water Resources Management includes STI, inter alia: sustainable water resources management and governance, including water withdrawal reduction, water conservation by largest consumers, and transboundary pollution prevention and reduction; securing drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), prevention of for all water-related diseases; evaporation control technologies; monitoring an prevention of water- related disasters; sustainable management of water ecosystems; ICT for water resource management and governance; desalination in large volumes.
Water Pollution Treatment includes STI, inter alia: industrial and agricultural wastewater pollution treatment, providing adequate water quality and quantity; domestic wastewater, storm and urban runoff treatment; economically viable use of chlorine-free water treatment technologies and nanotechnology for pollution control and desalination; reuse and recycling of water as a resource; control of marine pollution including oil-spills, marine litter, ballast water treatment and seaport waste treatment systems.
(c) Geospatial technology and its applications
The following six priority areas have thus been identified through deliberations/ consultations amongst the Geospatial Technology representatives from the BRICS Countries.
- Geosciences collaboration (Geodesy): Research collaborations in the domains of Mathematical Geodesy and Physical Geodesy, The Global Space-ground Integrated Geodetic Reference Frame Construction, Satellite Gravity Data Processing and its Application, Development of Prospective Technologies in Geodesy, Applications of GNSS to Studies in Geodesy, Navigation, Earth Deformations; Modern techniques for Geodetic Network Analyses etc.
- Remote Sensing data processing for People-centric Applications: With the launching of indigenous remote sensing satellites and availability of various other earth observation tools/ technologies, BRICS Nations are now equipped to utilize the data generated by these satellites for various development oriented applications. This provides foundation to build a global radiation and geometric calibration and validation network for remote sensing data and geospatial products through making full use of the diversification in terrain surface, sun lighting, atmosphere and background climate conditions within BRICS. Proposals are invited in (though not restricted to) areas like Earth Observation Data and Geospatial Information Products Joint Calibration and Verification, Remote Sensing Data Processing and Typical Features Dynamic Monitoring for Applications in Agriculture, Ecology, Infrastructure Management, Land Use Land Cover Study, Water Resources and Development of Smart Cities.
- Policy and Data Availability: Policies, technologies and infrastructure on delivering data, information and knowledge are critical to informed decision making. Proposals are thus invited on The Establishment Of Regional Remote Sensing Information Products Sharing Platform, The Development of the Regional Mechanism of Geospatial Information Resources Integration and The Global Standardization Of Geospatial Products, Utilization of Open Geospatial Data amongst the BRICS Nations that may in the long run lead to the development of the BRICS Geospatial Data Portal useful to the promotion of common global and domestic interests for people-centric development and the application of remote sensing information products within BRICS.
(d) New and renewable energy, and energy efficiency
To encourage research institutions, enterprises, universities and other relevant entities from BRICS countries to jointly develop collaboration and demonstration projects on new and renewable energy, energy saving, and energy efficiency. The priority topics for this first call are:
New and Renewable Energy: Photovoltaic Power Generation and System Application Technology; High Quality Biomass Energy Utilization Technology; New Technology for Energy Storage.
Energy Efficiency: Development of Accelerated Life Cycle Models for LED Lamps; Development of Solar Powered LED Lighting Systems with Distributed Batteries; Research on the key technologies of coal to clean gaseous fuel and its environmental protection to realize clean and efficient coal utilization.
(f) Biotechnology and biomedicine including human health and neuroscience
(g) Information technologies and high performance computing
(h) Ocean and polar science and technology
(i) Material science including nanotechnology
More details on financial terms and application process is here - http://brics.rfbr.ru/rffi/ru